• Ads

Caribbean Sikh

Introduce yourself, your community, your relationship with Sikhism or God in general.

Caribbean Sikh

Postby clarkejoey » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been wandering in the wasteland for 40-plus years, and have finally found Sikhism!

I'm interested in any kind of comunication with Sikhs... but i can't find a single one in Jamaica! Anybody have info?

As for me: 40 something, as i mentioned; born in England, to Jamaicans, and have been living here since i was a baby. I have worked in broadcasting since the 1990's, advertising since the 1980's, and theatre since i can remember myself.

My spiritual journey has taken me far and wide: brought up Catholic but hungry for richer spiritual food, i searched and tried and searched and tried... eventually (about 10 years ago) i was on the point of becoming a Catholic priest, but i got married instead. For many reasons, the marriage ended, but because of it i lived 7 years in Trinidad, which broadened my spiritual horizons a lot.

Since a month or two i have been listening to shabads, working my way through the SGGS, and devouring as much Sikh material as time and my brain-cells will allow. I've removed my single piercing, and have (just the other day) stopped dishonouring my hair. Smoking is next, scheduled to end on my birthday in November (i've smoked for over 30 years, so this will be a challenge!)

Conversion would be a very very big step, especially in a country that isn't accustomed to Sikhs... but if the present feeling persists, that could well be the way i go... and THAT's why i need some one-to-one with somebody who can guide and advise.

Thanks for your help!
One God... One Aim... One Destiny.
clarkejoey
Guru Da Pyara

Postby punjaban » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Welcome to Sikhi!

The Sikh community is here to support and help you as much as possible. Please let us know how we can all help you.

May Waheguru provide you with the strength to be a Guru Ka Sikh (sikh of the Guru). And don't worry about being along. Guru is always with his Sikhs so you are never alone.

I'm sorry I don't know about any sikhs in Jamaica. But I had heard about Indians in Trinidad but I am not aware how many of those Indians are Sabat Soorat Sikhs (those who follow rehit).
punjaban
Guru Da Pyara

Postby clarkejoey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks for the support!

Yes, i feel and believe Guru is with me - it's the best! There is, i gather, a Gurudwara in Trinidad... and i lived there 7 years without seeing it! I guess nothing happens before time.

I hope to be in the USA around december, maybe i'll connect with the Sikhs in Tampa, which is near my family's city.

We'll be in touch!
clarkejoey
Guru Da Pyara

Your interest in Sikhsim

Postby Opkar » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:22 pm

Dear Joey, I am really glad to learn that you are very much interested in Sikhism. You would be most welcome. The utmost important thing for you to do is STOP SMOKING. Another most important thing for a true Sikh is to control five things which are 1) Kaam (Sexual lust), 2) Krodh (Anger), 3) Lobh (Greediness), 4) Moh (Love towards material) and 5) Hankaar (Ego).

I have found from the Google Website that there is a Gurdwara in Trinidad. Please see the contact information below.

Gurudwara Name: Gurudwara Sahib Trinidad and Tobago
Gurudwara Address: #243 Eastern Main Road, Tunapuna
Gurudwara Details: Gurudwara Sahib Trinidad & Tobago is only Gurudwara whole in Caribbean (West-Indies).
Gurudwara Phone: 6635892
Gurudwara Fax: 6635892

I live in London, U.K. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any information and help regarding this matter. I would give you my help as much as possible and within my reach. Could you please also give me your e-mail address. Thanks.

Regards

Opkar Singh
Opkar
Guru Da Pyara

Postby clarkejoey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks - i'm sure you'll be hearing from me!
clarkejoey
Guru Da Pyara

Postby Heera Singh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

My name is Heera Singh and I'm a sikh Living in Montego Bay. Please PM me for more info.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!
Heera Singh
Guru Da Pyara

Re: Caribbean Sikh

Postby Canuck Physio » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Wow,

So many Sikhs in the Caribbeans

All i can say is 'yah mon'

WOuld love to visit.

Oh yes, also please join here:
http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/

The ultimate Sikh & health forum open to all so that you can all live to 100 in good health
(No I am not 100, but when I am 150, I'll tell you how it went)
Regards
Canuck Physio
Guru Da Pyara

Return to Introductions