Foreigners play traditional Punjabi instruments to mark Guru

Sikhs in the News

Foreigners play traditional Punjabi instruments to mark Guru

Postby admin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:42 am

admin's note: I have a couple of Prof. Surinder Singh albums which I once got in Canada, however never had the time to share it. I've had several requests for it, so in the coming future, we will share those!

Foreigners play traditional Punjabi instruments to mark Guru Gaddi Diwas
Anju Agnihotri Chaba
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 at 0106 hrs IST

Sultanpur Lodhi, October 24 It was a heart-warming sight indeed in Sultanpur Lodhi, at a function organised on the banks of Kali Bein yesterday. About 30 foreigners, dressed in Punjabi attire, played on the traditional instruments of the state to mark the Guruta Gaddi Diwas.

What made the performance special was that these foreigners played instruments like the rebab, tanti saaj, saranda, jori, taus, sarangi, dilruba, which are forgotten in the land of their birth. The team includes men and women from UK, USA, France, Germany etc.

For the local residents, it was a touching sight to see that the musical instruments of which many Punjabis have no knowledge, were played with such ease and passion by these foreigners. The team performed at the site for about two hours.

The team had been invited by Ranjit Singh Rana, an NRI based at UK, to play the traditional instruments here. Rana stated that the came to Punjab with Professor Surinder Singh, another NRI who hails from Kapurthala district.

Rana stated that most of these foreigners have even adopted Sikhism. He added that Prof Surinder has opened an academy in UK, where he teaches people how to play traditional Punjabi instruments. Rana said the team will perform at various places in Punjab, including the Golden Temple.

ref: http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... as/377703/
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!
admin
Site Admin

Return to News