Help!!

If you just don't know where to put something, put it here...

Help!!

Postby Mega_Jalebi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Sat Sri Akal,

I've recently started learning more about my faith, Sikhi and I've become very interested in Bani.

My question is this:

Is there a specific time in the day when certain paath should be listened to? I know Japji Sahib is for the morning and Rehras Sahib for the evening but I'm a little confused regarding the others.

Sukhmani Sahib - 1
Sukhmani Sahib - 2
Asa Di War
Anand Sahib

Also if there are any others that I need to learn and understand would someone be kind enough to list them too? I'm quite young and just beginning to learn so please forgive my ignorance.

Any information that anyone could provide would be really great. :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Di Fateh

Gurnaam Kaur.
Mega_Jalebi
Guru Da Pyara

Re: Help!!

Postby admin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:43 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!
admin
Site Admin

Postby patyjam » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:38 am

Waheguru Ji KA KHalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

Wouldn't you add Ardaas in the end of each reciting time?

By the way, is Ardaas also a bani ?

Guru Fateh Ji.
Patrícia
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
patyjam
Guru Da Pyara

Postby admin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Ardas is a prayer, that we recite to recognize Sikhi and ask for forgiveness since we probably have made countless mistakes reciting bani (such as z words, misinterpreting ideas..). And we ask from God to help us learn the proper way.
Yes it should be recited before/after any work. But, it is not a bani. Although reading Shri Guru Granth Sahib is in itself a prayer... but still we recite the ardas...

You must read this article to correctly understand the Ardas: http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/sikh-praye ... ayers.html

Patricia, I know you're new into Sikhi, but when you do something knowing the exact meaning of what you're doing, it will make it much more powerful. Because doing/reading something without knowing its meaning/essence can quickly turn into a blind tradition (something that Sikhs should avoid). The word Sikh means a learner/student.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!
admin
Site Admin

Postby patyjam » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am

Hanjee, dear bhai...

In my first days in India I used to listen to Ardas in Gurdwara and had not idea what it meant... Then people explained it to me, and as I came to become a SIkh when I return to Brazil, nowadays I know it almost by heart, as I daily recite it after doing path, and I know its meaning now... It is wonderful to know what we are reading/reciting, I completely agree with you.... And by the way, after starting studying Gurmukhi for that reciting purpose, I came to knwo that there were Nitnem "books" with Roman transliteration..and English translation.. :)

Since last October I've been actually learning more and more about the way I've chosen to walk through... Sikhism has changed my life... And as in Ardas last lines we ask Rabb to make us meet people who are with us in this journey back home, here I am, being guided by such a gentle bhai... :))

By the way, congratulations for your sewa... It means a lot to me to be guided this way, as in Brazil we've got no Sikhs to gather and share things... I only met a couple of Sikhs, but they live in another state... Actually I went to visit them, as they've got a place where they "do" Gurdwara twice a year... But I miss being with Sikhs and praising God all together... anyways.

Thank to our Babaji, who's always provided me right guidancy to His way...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki FAteh.
(btw, What's your name? :) )
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
patyjam
Guru Da Pyara

Return to Misc